Thursday, March 8, 2012

Reality Randomness

This is a new section of my blog I'm introducing called Reality Randomness.  Reality Randomness is just random topics that I want to post to my blog that have nothing to do with reality TV.  Whatever is on my mind that just came out of left field, sometimes the random topics will be serious, other times funny, or silly.  Today on RealityTvMe we are celebrating Reality Randomness!

My mom has been in the hospital for the last two weeks battling pneumonia and issues associated with her diabetes.  She’s been so down about her illnesses and it seems during hospital visits that’s all she focuses on is her dialysis, pneumonia, and her out-of-control diabetes.  So to lighten the mood yesterday, I decided to focus her attention on something other than her illness.  We first got on the topic of sports and that seemed to brighten her spirits quickly and immediately sent my mother into the discussion of the Patriots.  One thing you need to know about my mom is she’s a diehard Patriots and Celtics fan, if you want to get her going then talk about the Patriots and her love for the players (past and present).  As a matter of fact she’s still reeling from the Randy Moss trade from a few years back and the recent Super Bowl loss which she swears we would’ve won if Randy was still there.  Don’t ask me why and I’m not even sure how we got on the topic of the Star Spangled Banner but we did and my sister, mom and I were discussing the top 2 best renditions of the Star Spangled Banner we’ve ever heard in our life. The two selections were easy ones for us, Whitney Houston’s 1991 Super Bowl national anthem and Marvin Gaye’s 1983 All Star Game national anthem but choosing who was number one and two become a heated debate between the three of us.  The battle of the top spot got so heated that even the nurses assigned to my mom’s room got into the mix and casted their vote for the best amongst the two.  My mother and sister thought Whitney Houston then Marvin Gaye and I thought the reverse Marvin Gaye and then Whitney Houston.  Okay let me give you my reason why I put them in that order.

I chose Whitney as number two because her rendition of the national anthem was purely patriotic (which it should be and is suppose to be).  She sang the hell out of the Star Spangled Banner!  When we YouTubed her video on my Smartphone, gosh it brought tears to my eyes.  I know it sounds corny but I felt so proud to be an American and she brought that feeling out of me.  I remember the press and the media going crazy for Whitney’s rendition and again it is a fantastic rendition and one that does deserve respect but the top spot? In true Whitney fashion "Hell to the Naw"!

However, Marvin’s version was pure fucking electric sex, an R&B rendition that just makes you want to party.  This man turned the Star Spangled Banner out!  He brought it to a level of sexiness that I can’t even describe.  He even changed the beat to it (who does that?).  His version sounded like it could be a top ten hit on an R&B or Pop station right now.  I was too young then but if I was the age I am now, I could see myself with a bottle of wine and some lingerie about to get some good loving off his national anthem.  He brought a uniqueness in sound and rhythm that I haven’t heard from any other anthem performance (that I can remember).  He wasn’t trying too hard he was just being Marvin.  What artist say, he had that IT factor, pure charisma, and natural swagger.  Even his physical appearance at the show said he was dressing for a ladies concert not a sports event.  With the mean three piece suit, with the pocket hankie, dark classes, crisp haircut and newly lined beard.  I’ve never seen a national anthem where the ladies are screaming I love you and the people clap like their at a musical concert.  It’s just a beautiful thing to see and again just so DAMN SEXY.  This is why I just have to put Marvin Gaye at number 1 on my list.  

However, if you time in your busy life I hope you can review the two videos and post what you think about the National Anthem performances by Whitney Houston and Marvin Gaye.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment