Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Luggage Wars! The Next Big Auction Reality Show

Have you ever gone on vacation and your luggage didn't make it to your vacation destination?  The entire trip your luggage/suitcase is missing but you proceed anyway with the vacation of your dreams.  A few months go by and you call the airline at least twice a week to see if your item has been found.  Finally they call you to pick up your baggage and you rush right over after work to claim your lost luggage.

However, have you ever wondered what happens to unclaimed luggage? Well their is a new show that shows you.  Thousands of unclaimed luggage from U.S. and International flights from around the globe are auctioned off yearly to the highest bidder.  Just like Storage Wars (where storage companies auction off storage units that have been left unpaid for a period of time), Luggage Wars auction off different types of luggage such as duffel bags, suitcases, and carry-on's without bidders being able to see what is inside each bag up for auction.  Bidders judge the bag by its outward appearance, the airline it was on and the country it came from all in the hopes of hitting the jackpot for some expensive valuables waiting inside the luggage.

Perhaps it’s the troubled economy that has people looking for alternate means of making extra money on the side. Maybe it’s the pure excitement of bidding on a storage unit or a container without knowing for sure what’s inside but Americans are hooked on bidding wars shows.  This show just like Auction Wars, Pawn Stars and Storage Wars is just as exciting and Luggage Wars is slated to be the next big bidding war show phenomenon. 

One young-man (a new bidder) spent $1700 dollars cash on a Louis Vuitton duffel bag only to find a pair of new Chanel shoes worth $800 dollars, $4000 pair of diamond earrings, and an iPad 2.  He definitely made a great purchase and made his investment back and then some.  However, other bidders made high purchases on luggage and made no money because their bags contained just basic travel items (pajamas, underwear, Ipod nano, toiletries) inside.

The show comes on Spike TV which is the man version of Lifetime Television. You will need to check your local cable/satellite network to find out showtimes in your area.  

Really entertaining and interesting to watch and I think you will enjoy it, just as I did!

6 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to see if the show follows the pattern of other auction shows with dramatic moments before commercial break to hook you in. They'll come back and the luggage will contain nothing of any value, but they got you to continue watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw something about this show on Refinery29.com and a few days later I caught my boyfriend watching it. It is certainly entertaining, but how is it legal!?! And who just allows their designer luggage (with expensive contents) to stay lost?...crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe this is a real show. I also question the legality. I would assume that every effort was taken to find the owner of the luggage before auctioning it off to some random person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks crazy! Delta lost my luggage once and I was extremely upset. I cannot imagine not going back to obtain my luggage. Does not make sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen the previews for this show a bunch of times (its on after one of my favorite shows Auction Hunters) I am on the fence on whether i should get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm kind of glad I dont have cable service, I don't want to know what happens to lost luggage. I hate to think that this stuff just gets sold- makes it sound like the airlines isnt even trying to get your luggage back to you if they can make more cash by selling it.

    ReplyDelete